Crockpot BBQ

Thursday, May 26, 2011
In Texas, BBQ is not a process of cooking meat, it's an actual meat...that is cooked using a certain process.  This has confused me over the years when I've visited other states and they asked if I wanted BBQ...and I get chicken.  I'm OK with chicken,  but I just felt the need to iron out some confusion.
Despite my unusual love of BBQ (I'm not much on meat), I've never been able to conquer the flavor on my own, and I've tried over grills, slow roasted in ovens, but who knew-the crockpot was the key! 
Awhile back, the Dallas Morning News ran a recipe for slow-cooker Barbeque Beef. 
This is really easy, and really delicious.  I added some smokey BBQ to my sandwich, and it was pretty darn close to restaurant good! 
Ingredients: 
3 1/2 lb eye-of-round roast cut in half length wise
2 t. salt
2 garlic cloves, pressed
10 oz can condensed beef broth
1 c. ketchup
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. lemon juice
3 T. steak sauce
1 t. coarse ground pepper
1 t. Worcestershire
12 onion rolls
dill pickles
Instructions:  Sprinkle beef with 1/2 of salt.  Stir together all ingredients.  Pour half of the mix in the pot, add the beef, and cover the rest of the meat with the sauce.  Cook on high for 7 hours.  (I put this together the night before, and threw it on in the morning so it was ready at dinner).
 

No comments