Old Dictionary to Old Glory

Monday, May 23, 2011
 My friend Terry often provides new crafting challenges for me.  She recently brought me a dictionary from a set she bought, and she told me to get to work creating a craft.  
 There were about fifteen things I wanted to do with this little guy.  Once upon a time I bought a clearance book at a used bookstore, and I made a "Spell Book" for Halloween.  Up through this week, I had never thought of painting on a book before....or adding a hanger.  I did some searching and used a cute site with some vintage flag decor, Gainer's via Terry's advice. 
   This was a quick project, and right in time for summer patriotic holidays.  I pulled out some paints, added a lot of brown to each color to give it more of a vintage feel.  I ripped up some fabric to thread through the middle of the book for the hanger, and I added a little tag (and a button) that says, "Let Freedom Ring. 
 ...I see a lot of thrift books in my future!

12 comments

Anonymous said...

So cute and what a clever idea!!!
I love that it is patriotic for the upcoming holidays.
I am hosting a blog event for the troops during May, so come over and join. Hope to see you there!
http://ladeedacreations.com/2011/05/step-it-up-for-the-troops/

tt.scraps said...

Great idea and Super Cute!! :)

Deb said...

that is such a cute idea....i love all things patriotic....

Kelsey @ trialandstyle.com said...

What an amazing idea! I would have never thought of that! Great job, I love it :)

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

What a GREAT GREAT idea! I love using books for crafts and this is definitely going in my 'idea' file! Thanks for posting!!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is so clever. Love it!

Michelle said...

So creative! I'm surprised the ribbon hold up such a heavy book. It looks great. I'd love for you to come link up any projects you have at DIY Thrifty Thursday @ www.thrifty101.blogspot.com
~Michelle

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Christy - This flag is too cute! Such a creative idea. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase party - I greatly appreciate it. I hope you don't mind that I have included this in today's features. Hope you have a lovely holiday weekend ~ Stephanie Lynn

Unknown said...

What a cute idea!
I love how your friend just challenges you. She must have great respect for your crafting abilities.
I'm starting a new linky party on my blog today and would love if you'd link this up there!
www.daughterbydesign.blogspot.com

Beansieleigh said...

Wow.. This is really nice! I love old books, but if they're beyond saving, I really love this idea! Have a great 3-day holiday weekend! Enjoy! ~tina

Unknown said...

love the simplicity of the folk art flag plaque. very patriotic and stylish too!

Jennifer DeDonato said...

fun idea! great job!!