Old Soccer Shirt Tote Bag

Tuesday, May 31, 2011
My friend, Yolanda's daughter has played soccer since she was a little girl.  She graduates in a few days, and I was tasked with the assignment of putting all those sweet little uniforms from 5-18 into a gift.  I made a larger gift I posted about yesterday, but I had one shirt left over that I wanted to include in some way. 
 I cut out the pieces I wanted out of each shirt using this square, quilt thingie so everything is exact.  I ironed on a piece light weight fusible interfacing to the back (you can buy it by the yard at fabric stores).  This prevented the squares from stretching when you sew. 
For the bag I just added a border of fabric, then sewed this onto the bag using this process from a bag I made in the past.   I added an  initial tag to the bag for Alyse.  I saw the idea for the tags at The Autocrat.  She shared her find of vertical name tags in the office section at Walmart.  Decorate a square of scrapbook paper for the innard., I jazzed mine up with cricut monogram, rhinestones, and ribbon. 
This is the perfect size to house the gift Alyse's Mom and I put together. 

2 comments

Unknown said...

I love this upcycle idea! I'm featuring this in a post for great Father's Day creative ideas.
Kim
tiarasandbowties.blogspot.com

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is so cool, and you could do it for any special shirt that you want to hang on to. Great idea!