Hostess Cupcake Balls

Tuesday, June 21, 2011
 I saw this recipe for mini hostess cupcake balls at Sugar Derby.  I called 911 and told them I needed someone to resusitate me, and while we are at it, please let him be hansome and single (oops, I think that's been done before)....and then I got to work making these for myself.  Mini?  Cake?  Hostess?  Uhhh....yes, please.  And at the risk of being cliche-how cute would these be for  Hostess gift at a party?  I'm just sayin'....
1.  Bake up a chocolate boxed cake mix as instructed in a rectangular pan.  As soon as it comes out, stir in one can of cream cheese frosting. 
 2.  You'll have this beautiful mess.  Stick it in the freezer for about ten minutes until it's cool enough to handle, then roll it into tablespoon size balls.  Freeze those up. 
 3.  Make the cream filling.  2 t. hot water (not boiling), 1/4 t. salt, 1 jar marshmallow creme, 1/2 c. shortening, 1/2 t. vanilla. 
4.  Disolve salt in water, and set aside to cool.  Whip creme, shortening, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.  Add water and whip well. 
 5.  Pull out cake balls and push an indenting into the middle. 
 6.  Take an overexposed picture of the ziplock bag you place the filling in.  Snip off the end of the bag, and fill. 
 7.  Cover the filling filled hole with a small piece of cake ball.
 8.  I'd place these back in the freezer for another twenty minutes so they are firm and won't fall apart when you roll these in melted chocolate.  Once dipped, dry on wax paper. 
 9.  Melt white chocolate and make swirls. 
10.  Consume entire batch and repeat. 

2 comments

Erin said...

Oh my heck. Cake balls FILLED with goodness? I'm so in. I don't blame you for needing to make these! And let me know if the 911 call worked to get a good looking paramedic out. I'll have to try it =o)

Heather said...

Phew! I think I need to be resuscitated (however the heck it's spelled) too! Only no single handsome fellows, since hubs might not be too happy about that. haha Those look fabulous!!!